Top tips for UK student visa applicants
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
If you are heading to the UK to study this year, read our top tips on making a Tier 4 student visa application.
- Apply as early as you can. You can apply up to 3 months in advance.
- You will need a certificate of acceptance for studies (CAS) from your chosen place of study before you make an application.
- You should read the guidance on Tier 4 student visas at www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa
- You should know what additional supporting documents you will require for your application and allow plenty of time to get these together.
- If you are applying in Thailand you will need a TB certificate from an approved TB test clinic.
- You will need to provide bank statements and education certificates.
- Your bank statements should show that you have had the required maintenance funds in your bank account for at least 28 days prior to paying your student visa fee online.
- Some applicants might also need a Secure English Language Test certificate and/or an ATAS certificate.
- You should complete your Tier 4 student visa application form, pay your visa fee and book an appointment at your visa application centre online at www.visa4UK.fco.gov.uk
- You should only complete your application form in ENGLISH
- When making an appointment you must choose a Tier 4 student appointment
- Take a printed copy of your application form, your passport, a passport photo and any supporting documents that you require to your visa application centre appointment.
- You must provide a certified translation of any supporting documents that are not in English
- As you will have completed your application online, Appendix 8 is not required.
- UK Visas and Immigration will aim to process your visa within 15 working days. However, we are currently experiencing a high volume of applications and you may experience
some delays. You should not expect it any sooner. If you need your visa in a hurry, you can choose our 3-5 day priority visa service. Staff at the British Embassy in Bangkok can’t answer questions about student visas but you can go to www.gov.uk/visas-immigration for further guidance and contact details.