3. Knowledge of English

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.

You can do this by passing an English language test - it must be on the list of approved tests and providers.

Your language test must be at least level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).

You’ll need to pass a language test at CEFR level B2 if the course you’re going to study in the UK is at or above NQF 6, QCF 6 or SCQF 9.

Check what level the course you want to study in the UK is in the qualifications frameworks if you’re not sure.

You can also meet this requirement if you can show you:

  • have an academic qualification that was taught in a majority English speaking country and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelors degree
  • have successfully completed a course as a Tier 4 (Child) student that was at least 6 months long, and that finished less than 2 years before you got your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS)
  • are considered by your sponsor to be a ‘gifted student’

Check the full visa guidance for detailed information.


You don’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you can show you’re a national of one of the following countries:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • the Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • USA