Estimates for the number of UK seafarers active at sea, including demographic analysis. The release covers some statistics on non UK seafarers who are qualified to work on UK registered vessels. Updated annually and reflect numbers as at the end of June 2014.
- the total number of UK seafarers active at sea in 2014 was estimated to be 22,910
- the total number of UK seafarers increased by less than 1% compared to 2013. This was the first annual increase in the total number of UK seafarers, since 2010. This occurred principally due to increases in the number of certificated officers by 60 (a 1% increase on the previous year) and in the number of uncertificated officers by 230 (a 16% increase on the previous year)
- the number of UK ratings fell for the third consecutive year to 8,420, a 2% annual fall
- there were 1,940 officer cadets in training, the second highest level since the SMarT1 scheme was introduced in 1998
- there were 790 new entrants under the SMarT1 scheme, very similar to the previous year of 780 new entrants