Main trends for reviews of marking and moderation for GCSE, AS and A level for the summer 2018 exam series were:
- Percentage of all GCSE grades awarded that were challenged and changed following reviews decreases: 5.5% of all GCSE grades awarded were challenged and 1.1% of grades awarded were changed (down from 5.9% and 1.4% respectively in 2017).
- Percentage of all GCE (AS and A level) grades awarded that were challenged and changed following reviews increases: 5.6% of all GCE grades awarded were challenged and 1.2% of grades awarded were changed (up from 4.6% and 1.0% respectively in 2017).
- Percentage of GCSE and GCE grades challenged that were changed decreases: 20.1% of all GCSE grades challenged were changed (down from 24.4% in 2017) and 21.0% of all GCE grades challenged were changed (down from 21.7% in 2017).
- The percentage of GCSE and GCE reviews resulting in no mark change increases from 55% in 2017 to 63% in 2018.
- The most commonly challenged grades were grade 3 (27% of 9 to 1 GCSE grades challenged), grade D (25% of A* to G GCSE grades challenged) and grade B (33% of GCE grades challenged).
We are keen to hear your views on our publications. Please send any comments on this statistical release and how to improve it to meet your needs to firstname.lastname@example.org.