The main trends for the provisional figures on the number of entries for GCSEs, AS and A levels submitted by schools and colleges in England to exam boards by 17 April 2019 for qualifications being taken in summer 2019 were:
- GCSE entries in 2019 (5.2m) increased by just under 1% compared to 2018.
- GCSE entries are mostly from year 11 students; entries from all age groups have increased slightly in 2019 compared to 2018.
- A level entries in 2019 (0.75m) have dropped slightly by 2% from 2018.
- AS entries (0.12m) have continued to fall (almost 60% fewer than 2018).
- Entries in EBacc subjects increased (by 4%) and entries in non-EBacc subjects decreased (by 9%) compared to 2018.
We are keen to hear your views on our publications. Please send any comments on this statistical release and how to improve it to meet your needs to firstname.lastname@example.org.