Provisional annual statistics are updated in June and detailed final annual statistics are published in September.
When comparing January to March 2013 with January to March 2012:
- total major port traffic (tonnage) was 119 million tonnes, a decline of 3%.
- total tonnage fell despite a 1% increase in inward traffic, the first year on year increase since quarter 4 2011.
- the number of units handled during quarter 1 2013 was 4,567 thousand units, remaining constant.
For the rolling annual total, when comparing the four quarters ending January to March 2013 with the four quarters ending January to March 2012:
- total major port traffic (tonnage) has fallen by 4%. This continues the decline seen throughout 2012
- a total of 20,617 units were handled, a fall of 3% and continuing the decline seen in 2012
Information on port freight statistics, including the pre-release access list and related technical documentation are available.