This publication presents provisional summary statistics on freight handled by major UK ports, updated quarterly.
Provisional annual statistics are updated in June and detailed final annual statistics are published in September.
Comparing Quarter 1 2013 (Jan – March) with Quarter 1 2012:
- Total major port traffic (tonnage) was 119 million tonnes, a decline of 3%.
- Total tonnage fell despite a 1% increase in inward traffic, the first year on year increase since quarter 4 2011.
- The number of units handled during quarter 1 2013 was 4,567 thousand units, remaining constant.
Rolling Annual Total:
Comparing the four quarters ending quarter 1 2013 (Q2 2012-Q1 2013) with the four quarter ending quarter 1 2012 (Q2 2011-Q1 2012):
- Total major port traffic (tonnage) has fallen by 4%. This continues the decline seen throughout 2012.
- A total of 20,617 thousand units were handled, a fall of 3% and continuing the decline seen in 2012.
Information on port freight statistics, including the pre-release access list and related technical documentation can be found here
- Phone: 020 7944 4131