Accompanying this release are new data tables. These were redesigned following a user feedback exercise conducted in March 2018. The tables now feature filters giving users greater flexibility with the presented data. The underlying data is compiled as in previous years.
This is the first quarterly update published without an accompanying PDF summary. If you have any comments or would like to discuss this with us, please contact us.
Provisional quarterly statistics on freight handled at major UK sea ports.
When comparing April to June 2018 with April to June 2017:
- total freight tonnage through UK major ports decreased by 2% to 119.0 million tonnes
- inward tonnage to UK major ports fell marginally to 75.3 million tonnes and outward tonnage fell by 4% to 43.7 million tonnes
- total volume of unitised traffic through UK major ports decreased 4% to 6.0 million units
- inwards units fell by 4% to 3.1 million units and outward units fell by 3% to 2.9 million units
When comparing the rolling year to June 2018 with June 2017:
- total tonnage through UK major ports decreased 2% to 464.6 million tonnes
- total volume of unitised traffic decreased 2% to 23.7 million units
Notes and definitions and guidance about quality of these statistics are available.
Detailed final annual statistics for 2018 will be published in summer 2019.