Statistics on freight handled at major UK sea ports for January to March 2019.
When comparing January to March 2019 with January to March 2018 through UK major ports:
- total freight tonnage increased by 6% to 119.3 million tonnes
- inward tonnage increased by 10% to 77.7 million tonnes
- outward tonnage fell by 1% to 41.6 million tonnes
- total volume of unitised traffic increased by 3% to 5.4 million units
- inward units increased by 5% to 2.9 million units
- outward units held steady at 2.5 million units
When comparing the rolling year to March 2019 with March 2018 through UK major ports:
- total tonnage increased by 2% to 477.6 million tonnes
- total volume of unitised traffic decreased by 1% to 23.7 million units
Detailed final annual statistics for 2019 will be published in summer 2020.
Further information about these statistics is available, including:
- background information on quarterly port freight statistics
- notes and definitions for all port freight statistics