2011-based household interim projections in England, 2011 to 2021
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Part of:
- Household projections, House building, 2011-based household projections: detailed data for modelling and analytical purposes, and Live tables on household projections
- First published:
- 9 April 2013
- Applies to:
- England (see publications for Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales)
The latest national statistics on the projected number of households in England and its local authority districts to 2021 were published on 9 April 2013.
Ref: ISBN 9781409838562 PDF, 432KB, 25 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The figures in this release are based on the 2011-based interim sub-national population projections, published by the Office for National Statistics in September 2012. They replace the 2008-based household projections released in November 2010.
The main points from this release are:
- the number of households in England is projected to grow to 24.3 million in 2021, an increase of 2.2 million (10%) over 2011, or 221,000 households per year
- the projections represent a decrease in average household size from 2.36 to 2.33 in 10 years
- collectively, couple households (with or without other adults) are projected to grow by around 87,000 per year on average, equating to 40% of the total increase in households between 2011 and 2021
- two-thirds (67%) of the increase in households between 2011 and 2021 is projected for households without any dependent children
- the increase in the number of households headed by the younger age groups is projected to be relatively lower than the increase in households headed by older people
- in 10 years, the number of households is projected to grow between 5 and 10% in nearly half (46%) of all local authority districts in England
- the majority of local authorities (281 out of 326) have a projected decrease in average household size from 2011 to 2021
- changes in population account for about 98% of the household formation between 2011 and 2021
- the 2011-based projections show a lower growth in households compared with the 2008-based projections, equating to 24,900 fewer households per year between 2011 and 2021 in England
Published: 9 April 2013