Fly tipping in England
- Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
- Part of:
- Waste and recycling statistics and ENV24 - Fly tipping incidents and actions taken in England
- 18 December 2012
- Last updated:
- 6 March 2017, see all updates
- Applies to:
Annual incidents of fly tipping in England.
PDF, 388KB, 14 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
There appears to have been an issue with this web page refreshing in some browsers before 10am on 2 March 2017. This issue has now been resolved.
This publication summarises the number and type of incidents of illegally deposited waste, the cost of dealing with them and the actions taken against fly tipping in England.
Fly tipping is the illegal deposit of waste on land contrary to Section 33(1)(a) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. The types of waste fly tipped range from ‘black bag’ waste to large deposits of materials such as industrial waste, tyres, construction material and liquid waste. Fly tipping is a significant blight on local environments; a source of pollution; a potential danger to public health and hazard to wildlife. It also undermines legitimate waste businesses where unscrupulous operators undercut those operating within the law.
Local councils and the Environment Agency (EA) both have a responsibility in respect of illegally deposited waste. Local councils deal with most cases of fly tipping on public land, whilst the EA investigates and enforces against the larger, more serious and organised illegal waste crimes.
Further information including historic data and information on EA actions can be found here.
The next release see statistics release calendar
Published: 18 December 2012
Updated: 6 March 2017
- Explanation of breach report added for this statistical notice.
- Annual update for the financial year 2015-16.
- new fly tipping figures for 2014 to 2015 published.
- There have been very minor data revisions made to the ‘actions’ for both 2012/13 and 2013/14 and the ‘outcomes’ figures for 2013/14.
- Annual update.
- 2013 data
- Added a line linking to ENV24 and a new table on EA actions.
- First published.