The main trends for entries for GCSE in November 2018 exam series in England were:
- Overall, GCSE entries in November 2018 increased by 55%, from 67,755 in 2017 to 104,710.
- Entries in English language saw an increase to 49,585, representing a 50% increase on 2017, continuing a trend of increase over the past 5 years.
- Entries in mathematics are 55,125, a 58% increase on 2017, but more similar to 2016.
- In 2018, the majority (93%) of entries in mathematics were for the foundation tier paper and the remaining (7%) entered for the higher tier paper.
- Entries in November are from year 12 and above. Since 2017, year 11 students are no longer allowed to enter the November examination series.
- Year 12 entries increased by 33% from 43,480 in 2017 to 57,650 in 2018.
We are keen to hear your views on our publications. Please send any comments on this statistical release and how to improve it to meet your needs to email@example.com.