Energy production and consumption statistics are provided in total and by fuel, and provide an analysis of the latest 3 months data compared to the same period a year earlier. Energy price statistics cover domestic price indices, prices of road fuels and petroleum products and comparisons of international road fuel prices.
Energy production and consumption
Highlights for the 3 month period April to June 2018, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis rose by 0.6%, on a temperature adjusted basis consumption rose by 0.5%. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production down by 1.0%, with oil and renewables, particularly solar, output up but gas and nuclear output down. (table ET 1.1)
- Electricity generation by Major Power Producers down 0.5%, with coal down 20% but gas up 0.2%. Renewables were up 7.7% boosted by record quarterly solar generation* (table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 47.7% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with nuclear at 25.3%, renewables at 25.1% and coal at 1.9%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 0.2 percentage points to 50.4%. * (table ET 5.4)
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
Highlights for August 2018 compared to July 2018:
- Petrol prices up 0.8 pence per litre on month, whilst diesel prices also up 0.8 pence per litre. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Lead statistician Warren Evans, Tel 0300 068 5059
Press enquiries: Tel 020 7215 6140 / 020 7215 8931
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of June 2018.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of July 2018.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for July 2018, and petrol & diesel data for August 2018, with EU comparative data for July 2018.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 27 September 2018.
To access the data tables associated with this release please click on the relevant subject link(s) below. For further information please use the contact details provided.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact BEIS (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Subject and table number
||Energy production and consumption, and weather data
||Contact: Kevin Harris, Tel: 0300 068 5041
||Indigenous production of primary fuels
||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis
||Contact: Coal statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5050
||Coal production and foreign trade
||Coal consumption and coal stocks
||Contact: Nick Jesson, Tel: 0300 068 5346
||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports
||Stocks of petroleum
||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products
||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption
||Contact: Ben Lucking, Tel: 0207 215 5010
||Natural gas production and supply
||Natural gas imports and exports
||Natural gas imports
||Contact: Electricity statistics, Tel: 0207 215 1259
||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers
||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system
||Availability and consumption of electricity
||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047
||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean
||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean
||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean
||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean