Energy production and consumption statistics are provided in total and by fuel, and provide an analysis of the latest 3 months data compared to the same period a year earlier. Energy price statistics cover domestic price indices, prices of road fuels and petroleum products and comparisons of international road fuel prices.
Energy production and consumption
Highlights for the 3 month period February to April 2017, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis fell by 6.7%, but on a temperature adjusted basis consumption fell by 2.5%; average temperatures for the period were 1.7 degrees warmer than in 2016. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production fell by 0.1%, with reduced crude oil output. (table ET 1.1)
- Electricity generation by Major Power Producers down 6.0%, with coal down 50% and gas down 3.1%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 45.2% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with renewables at 23.8%, nuclear at 22.9% and coal at 8.0%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 5.9 percentage points to 46.8%, due to increased nuclear and renewables generation.* (table ET 5.4)
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
Highlights for June 2017 compared to May 2017:
- Petrol prices up 0.2 pence per litre on month whilst diesel prices up 0.4 pence per litre. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Lead statistician Warren Evans, Tel 0300 068 5059
Press enquiries: Tel 020 7215 6140 / 020 7215 8931
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of April 2017.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of May 2017.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for May 2017, and petrol & diesel data for June 2017, with EU comparative data for May 2017.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 27 July 2017.
To access the data tables associated with this release please click on the relevant subject link(s) below. For further information please use the contact details provided.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact BEIS (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Subject and table number
||Energy production and consumption, and weather data
||Contact: Kevin Harris, Tel: 0300 068 5041
||Indigenous production of primary fuels
||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis
||Contact: Coal statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5050
||Coal production and foreign trade
||Coal consumption and coal stocks
||Contact: Natalie Cartwright, Tel: 0300 068 5260
||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports
||Stocks of petroleum
||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products
||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption
||Contact: Matthew Curds, Tel: 0300 068 8414
||Natural gas production and supply
||Natural gas imports and exports
||Natural gas imports
||Contact: Electricity statistics, Tel: 0300 068 2928
||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers
||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system
||Availability and consumption of electricity
||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047
||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean
||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean
||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean
||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean