Energy Trends and Prices statistical release: 22 December 2016
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Part of:
- Energy and climate change: evidence and analysis
- First published:
- 22 December 2016
The latest provisional monthly energy production, consumption and prices statistics produced by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy were released on 22 December 2016.
Energy production and consumption statistics are provided in total and by fuel, and provide an analysis of the latest 3 months data compared to the same period a year earlier. Energy price statistics cover domestic price indices, prices of road fuels and petroleum products and comparisons of international road fuel prices.
Energy production and consumption
Highlights for the 3 month period August to October 2016, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis fell by 3.2%, on a temperature adjusted basis consumption fell by 3.0% continuing the downward trend. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production rose by 1.7%, with increased primary electricity output. (table ET 1.1)
- Electricity generation by Major Power Producers down 2.7%, with coal down 75% but offset by increase in gas up 31%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 49.9% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with nuclear at 26.8%, renewables at 17.6% and coal at 5.8%.* ([table ET 5.4] (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electricity-section-5-energy-trends))
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 3.8 percentage points to 44.4%, due to increased nuclear availability.* (table ET 5.4)
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
Highlights for December 2016 compared to November 2016:
- Petrol prices down 1.7 pence per litre on month whilst diesel prices down 0.8 pence per litre. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Lead statistician Iain Macleay, Tel 0300 068 5048
Press enquiries, Tel 0300 060 4000
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of October 2016.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of November 2016.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for November 2016, and petrol & diesel data for December 2016, with EU comparative data for November 2016.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 26 January 2017.
To access the data tables associated with this release please click on the relevant subject link(s) below. For further information please use the contact details provided.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact BEIS (email@example.com)
|Subject and table number||Energy production and consumption, and weather data|
|Total Energy||Contact: Kevin Harris, Tel: 0300 068 5041|
|ET 1.1||Indigenous production of primary fuels|
|ET 1.2||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis|
|Coal||Contact: Coal statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5050|
|ET 2.5||Coal production and foreign trade|
|ET 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|Oil||Contact: Natalie Cartwright, Tel: 0300 068 5260|
|ET 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports|
|ET 3.11||Stocks of petroleum|
|ET 3.12||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products|
|ET 3.13||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption|
|Gas||Contact: Matthew Curds, Tel: 0300 068 8414|
|ET 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|ET 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|ET 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|Electricity||Contact: Electricity statistics, Tel: 0300 068 2928|
|ET 5.3||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers|
|ET 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system|
|ET 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|Weather||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047|
|ET 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.3||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.4||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean|
|Subject and table number||Energy prices data|
|Domestic energy price indices||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047|
|QEP 2.1.3||Retail prices index: fuels components monthly figures|
|Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum product||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047|
|QEP 4.1.1||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (monthly data)|
|International road fuel prices||Contact: Reuben Pullan, Tel: 0300 068 5057|
|QEP 5.1.1||Premium unleaded petrol prices in the EU|
|QEP 5.2.1||Diesel prices in the EU|
Published: 22 December 2016