The main trends in the number of appeals for GCSE, AS and A level made following the summer 2018 exam series in England were:
- Approximately 0.003% of the 6.2 million qualification grades certified in summer 2018 in GCSE, AS and A level were changed as a result of an appeal.
- Marking error was the most common reason for appeals in summer 2018.
- Appeals submitted and upheld continue to rise.
- Most upheld appeals result in no grade change.
- A small proportion (4%) of preliminary appeals progressed to appeal hearing.
We are keen to hear your views on our publications. Please send any comments on this statistical release and how to improve it to meet your needs to firstname.lastname@example.org.