- There were 11.7 million certificates awarded in GCSE, AS, A level and vocational and other qualifications available for award in England over the academic year 2018 to 2019 (October 2018 to September 2019).
- The number of certificates fell by 1% compared to the previous year. This appears to be a slowing of the downward trend seen over the past few years.
- Just over half of all certificates awarded this year were in GCSE, AS and A levels. This is very similar to last year.
- The organisations with the largest market shares in these qualifications were AQA (31%), Pearson (21%), City and Guilds (7%) and OCR (7%); the rest of the awarding organisations accounted for 34% market share.
- There were 12.3K available qualifications with certificates in academic year 2018 to 2019, a 4% decrease on the previous year.
Interactive visualisation of this data
Please see our newly launched interactive visualisation which allows users to explore this data in an interactive and engaging manner.
We are keen to hear your views on our publications. Please send any comments on this statistical release and how to improve it to meet your needs to firstname.lastname@example.org.