© Crown copyright 2020
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-guidance-for-clinical-diagnostic-laboratories/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-sampling-requirements
This guidance explains and supplements the information presented visually in the poster COVID-19: which samples should be taken.
Upper respiratory tract sample options:
- combined nose and throat swab in one collection tube containing universal transport medium OR
- single swab used for throat then nose OR
- individual nose and throat swabs in separate collection tubes OR
- nasopharyngeal aspirate in a universal transport pot
Lower respiratory tract sample in universal container (sputum) if obtainable
If the patient is admitted, take a sample for acute serology:
- 5mL in either serum tube or plain (no additive) tube. For children <12 years, 1mL is acceptable
For packaging guidance, see poster Suspected COVID-19 cases: sampling and packaging poster.