This guidance is for:
- local authority chief executives
- directors of children’s services
- chairs of local safeguarding children boards (LSCBs)
- teachers and education staff
- social workers
- health service professionals
- adult services
- police officers
- voluntary and community sector workers in contact with children and families
It applies to:
- local authorities
- all schools
The 2018 version replaces the 2015 version. The transitional guidance helps explain how to move to the new arrangements.
The statutory framework sets out the legislation relevant to safeguarding and it should be read alongside the statutory guidance.
Statutory guidance is issued by law; you must follow it unless there’s a good reason not to.
A version of the guidance for young people and a separate version suitable for younger children are also available for practitioners to share.