Wild birds: apply for a licence to disturb them for photography

Get a licence application form to disturb protected species of wild birds for photography.


Application for a licence to disturb wild birds for photography (A28)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You need a licence if you plan to disturb wild birds listed under schedule 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act for photography.

To apply you’ll need to include:

  • the application form
  • 2 references from people familiar with your work

Licences are free. Allow up to 30 working days for a licensing decision to be made.

How to report your actions

You are required to report any actions you took under this licence to Natural England using the dedicated reporting form. You need to complete the report as soon as possible after taking action.

You can report on your actions and renew the licence with the same form.

Published 28 February 2014
Last updated 17 July 2015 + show all updates
  1. Replaced application form with revised, interactive PDF version.
  2. First published.