Wild birds: apply for a licence to disturb them for science

Get a licence application form to disturb protected species of wild birds for science, education and conservation work.



You need a licence if you plan to disturb these wild birds listed under schedule 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act for scientific, educational or conservation work.

To apply you’ll need to include:

  • the application form
  • 2 references from people familiar with your work

Licences are free. Allow up to 15 working days for a licensing decision to be made.

How to report your actions

You are required to report any actions you took under this licence to Natural England using the report form template. You need to complete the report as soon as possible after taking action.

You can report on your actions and renew the licence with the same form.