Public Health England’s Health and Justice team, in their role as the UK collaborating centre to the WHO Health in Prison Programme (UKCC WHO HIPP), co-produced an international conference on the theme of Deaths in Custody with the WHO Europe Regional Office (Copenhagen) at the UN City in Copenhagen, Denmark, in early November 2016 .
The aim of the conference was:
- to share good practice internationally
- to improve the quality of prison healthcare with a focus on deaths in custody, including both self-inflicted deaths and deaths due to natural causes (encompassing chronic illnesses and infectious diseases)
The 2-day programme included:
- an international conference
- a regional consultation event
- a discussion on the launch of the WHO Europe Prison Health Research and Engagement Network (WEPHREN), the implementation of the Minimum Public Health Dataset for Prisons in Europe as well as country and organisational updates on the theme of deaths in custody.