This report brings together the most recently available UK data from 2013, on antibiotic resistance in key bacteria that are common to animals and humans. It also includes details on the amount of antibiotics sold for animal health and welfare and antibiotics prescribed to humans.
The report aims to:
- encourage further joint working between the human and animal sectors
- identify the emerging and current antibiotic resistance threats in 3 key bacteria in humans and animals
- identify differences in surveillance methodology and data gaps that limit our ability to compare trends between the 2 fields, both within the UK and across Europe
- evaluate available data from humans and animals side by side and begin to assess the relationship between antibiotic sales, use and resistance across the 2 sectors
- develop recommendations to improve the surveillance of antibiotic use and resistance in humans and animals