The Official Custodian for Charities' 'land holding' service (CC13)

Find out how charities can vest land in the name of the Official Custodian for Charities.

Applies to England and Wales



Your charity can only hold the title to land or property in its own name if it’s a charitable incorporated organisation or charitable company. If it isn’t, your charity can still own and manage land or property but you must either:

  • nominate one or more trustees to hold the title to the land or property in their name (‘holding trustees’), or
  • ask the Official Custodian for Charities to hold the land or property on your charity’s behalf (‘vesting’)

This guidance explains how to vest your charity’s land in the Official Custodian for Charities. Use this free service to save time and avoid the cost of transferring title deeds if your holding trustees change. You keep full control over how your charity’s land and property is managed.

Published 1 September 2004