The first mandate between the government and the NHS Commissioning Board.
This mandate sets out the ambitions for the health service for the next two years.
The Mandate reaffirms the government’s commitment to an NHS that remains comprehensive and universal - available to all, based on clinical need and not ability to pay - and that is able to meet patients’ needs and expectations now and in the future.
The NHS Mandate is structured around 5 key areas where the government expects the NHS Commissioning Board to make improvements:
- preventing people from dying prematurely
- enhancing quality of life for people with long-term conditions
- helping people to recover from episodes of ill health or following injury
- ensuring that people have a positive experience of care
- treating and caring for people in a safe environment and protecting them from avoidable harm