- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy and Department for Business, Innovation & Skills
- Part of:
- Consumer protection
- 12 July 2013
- Last updated:
- 8 December 2015, see all updates
The sub-office is operated by assay office employees as an independent facility within a host company or at a separate location.
The British Hallmarking Council (BHC) has the power to authorise an assay office to assay and mark items at locations other than their main address.
In 2001 and 2002 BHC adopted a new policy and procedure relating to the exercise of the power. They agreed a policy statement and an application form.
There are currently 9 sub-offices operating as follows:
- Sheffield Assay Office: Carrs of Sheffield
- Birmingham Assay Office: Curteis, Optima, Cookson Precious Metals, Argos, DOMINO, Hockley Mint
- London Assay Office: Hatton Garden, Brinks Heathrow
Published: 12 July 2013
Updated: 8 December 2015
- Amended sub-office application form.
- Family Jewels is no longer a sub-office of the Birmingham Assay Office, and has been removed from the list of sub-offices.
- added Providing better information and protection for consumers policy tag
- First published.