UK Standards for Microbiology Investigations S 6: Sexually transmitted infections.
The last full scientific review of this document was completed on 12 April 2012.
Further development of syndromic algorithms has ceased and the current documents will remain on the website until they are superseded or withdrawn.
Further guidelines were published in December 2012. Please refer to NICE public health guidance - hepatitis B and C: ways to promote and offer testing to people at increased risk of infection for more information.
The following SMIs provide supporting information related to this syndromic algorithm:
- B 28: Investigation of genital tract and associated specimens
- B 41: Investigation of urine
- ID 6: Identification of Neisseria species
- G 2: Microbiological investigation of patients with acute lymphadenopathy and fever
- G 6: Investigation of vesicular rashes
- G 7: Investigation of red rash
- V 11: Anti-HIV screening
- V 37: Chlamydia trachomatis infection : testing by nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
- V 44: Serological diagnosis of syphilis