Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years
Guidance on the special educational needs and disability (SEND) system for children and young people aged 0 to 25, from 1 September 2014.
This statutory code contains:
- details of legal requirements that you must follow without exception
- statutory guidance that you must follow by law unless there’s a good reason not to
It explains the duties of local authorities, health bodies, schools and colleges to provide for those with special educational needs under part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014.
The code, which applies to England, is for:
- headteachers and principals
- governing bodies
- school and college staff
- special educational needs (SEN) coordinators
- early education providers
- local authorities
- health and social services staff
This document replaces the ‘Special educational needs (SEN): code of practice’ 2001. The 2001 code still applies for those who have a SEN statement under part 4 of the Education Act 1996, rather than an education, health and care (EHC) plan under the Children and Families Act 2014.
Other SEND guides are also available.