Securities in respect of VAT at risk

Employers and traders, HMRC may ask for a deposit or bond.



HMRC can ask you to pay a cash deposit or bond if they think there’s a risk you will not pay your tax or duty on time. They call this a ‘security’. If you do not pay your bill HMRC can use the security to settle it.

Published 7 July 2014
Last updated 8 April 2020 + show all updates
  1. Attached new updated leaflet due to coronavirus (COVID-19) measures put in place.

  2. The 'How to give security’ and ‘What if we require security from you and you disagree’ sections have been updated.

  3. First published.