Statutory guidance on local authorities' and regional schools commissioners' responsibilities relating to schools and PRUs causing concern.
This guidance describes how:
- local authorities and regional schools commissioners (RSCs) will intervene in underperforming local-authority-maintained schools
- RSCs will intervene in underperforming academies
- RSCs will intervene in pupil referral units (PRUs) judged inadequate by Ofsted
PRUs are places that provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school.
If you’re a local authority you:
- must follow this statutory guidance by law
- should use this guidance in conjunction with the interim executive board application form
You should also be aware of how this guidance affects your school if you’re part of a:
- school foundation
- governing body of maintained schools
- academy trust
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.