Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
School census 2015 to 2016: technical information
Technical specification, XML schema files and validation rules for submitting 2015 to 2016 school census data.
This is technical information about submitting data for the school census 2015 to 2016.
Use this if you’re a:
- supplier of software for school management information systems (MIS)
- user of school MIS software
The specification contains:
- changes to the previous year’s census collection
- what data schools should supply at school level and pupil level
- how to structure the data in XML
- how to check the data against the validation rules
Software suppliers should use:
- the schema file so that schools can provide data in the correct XML format
- the list of validation rules so that schools can validate the data they submit
You should also read the common basic data set (CBDS). This defines common data items that schools use in MIS software and that we use in our data collections.
More guidance on submitting school census data is also available.