© Crown copyright 2018
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sales-of-acid-voluntary-commitments-for-retailers/responsible-sales-of-acid-and-corrosive-substances-voluntary-commitments
Agree to comply with the Poisons Act 1972 and promote awareness to staff of what this means for the sale of products which contain levels of acid and other corrosive substances that mean they are either regulated or reportable under the Poisons Act 1972.
Agree not to sell products to under 18s that contain potentially harmful levels of acid or corrosive substances. (The types of products that should not be sold to under 18s is set out below). Where appropriate, this will include applying challenge 21/25 policies when asking for age identification, and staff supported by till alerts, supervision and the inclusion of the products in age restricted sales training.
Agree equivalent age restriction measures are applied to products sold online.
Corrosive substances of concern and responsible sales
We as a retailer agree not to sell products to under 18s that contain the following substances (or substances subject to the concentration level where they become of concern):
- products that that contain sulphuric acid such as drain cleaners/unblockers
- products that contain sodium hydroxide (12% and over) such as drain cleaners/unblockers
- products that contain sodium hydroxide (12% and over) such as paint strippers
- products that contain hydrochloric acid (10% and over) such as brick and patio cleaners
- products that contain hydrochloric acid (10% or over) such as cleaning products including limescale removers
- products that contain ammonium hydroxide (10% and over) such as cleaning products
- products that contain sodium hypochlorite (10% and over) such as cleaning products
Individual retailers will decide how to apply this responsible sales commitment to their stores or shop and online.