Challenge the government to sell land or property (Right to Contest)

If you believe land or property is not needed and could be put to better economic use, then you can challenge the government by submitting a Right to Contest application.


Right to Contest application form

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


The application process has two strands:

  • Strand 1: land owned by a central Government department and their arms length bodies
  • Strand 2: land owned by a local authority or certain other public bodies

You’ll need to contact the relevant strand when submitting the form. The contact details for each are on the application form.

For more information see the guidance on challenging the government to sell land or property.

Published 8 January 2014