Provides information on location, number, functions, skills and competences of the infection prevention and control (IPC) nursing workforce.
The report has found the following:
- IPC nurses are situated in different organisations, which all have different remits and responsibilities
- there is no uniformity in person specifications or core competencies for IPC nurses
- there is no clear defined pathway into IPC nursing and there is no ‘set’ qualification
- there is substantial variability in team structures and IPC service delivery models
- it is difficult to count the number of IPC nurses within care homes since the IPC leads there are not necessarily IPC nurses
- there is currently no formal national network for IPC nursing