Residential special schools: national minimum standards
- Department for Education
- Part of:
- National minimum standards for the welfare of children, Schools: departmental advice, and Special educational needs and disability (SEND)
- First published:
- 1 November 2012
- Last updated:
- 24 March 2015, see all updates
- Applies to:
Guidance for special schools providing residential accommodation for any child.
- school leaders
- school staff
It applies to:
- state-funded special schools
- independent residential special schools
It contains a statement of national minimum standards.
Special schools support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities.
The ‘Boarding schools: national minimum standards’ apply to all other schools that provide accommodation for children.
Published: 1 November 2012
Updated: 24 March 2015
- Updated document as a result of Ofsted inspections against the standards, and revisions to the independent school standards.
- First published.