Departmental advice on national minimum standards to safeguard and promote the welfare of children residing in boarding schools.
This departmental advice is for:
- school leaders
- school staff
This advice relates to:
- maintained schools
- independent schools
These standards do not override the need for schools to comply with other legislation such as:
- the Education (Independent School Standards) (England) Regulations 2010
- legislation covering health and safety, fire or planning regulations
The standards apply in England to:
- all mainstream boarding schools
- all age groups of pupils up to 18
- any pupils over 18 who live alongside those who are under 18
- children accommodated at the school, other than pupils
These standards provide the minimum standards below which no school is expected to fall in securing outcomes for boarders.