Research and analysis
Avian influenza (bird flu) in 2014 and 2015: epidemiology reports
Investigations carried out to describe and explain the outbreaks of bird flu in 2014 and 2015.
PDF, 98KB, 10 pages
The following reports have been published, summarising the epidemiological investigations carried out to describe and explain the outbreaks of:
- H5N8 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) infection in breeding ducks on a premises in Yorkshire, November 2014
- H7N7 Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza outbreak (AIV2015/01) in broiler breeder chickens, February 2015
- H7N7 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza outbreak in near Preston, Lancashire, July 2015
The Exotic Diseases Subgroup of Defra’s Science Advisory Council met on 26 November 2014. The paper considered by that meeting has been published, together with Defra’s response to the key points from that meeting.
A review of the lessons identified during the November 2014 and February 2015 outbreaks was carried out.
Published: 12 March 2015
Updated: 21 October 2015
- Uploaded corrected version of epi report for July 2015 outbreak - fixed unreadable text on page 33 and changed the number of PZ duck holdings on page 34 has been changed from 16 to 15.
- Added epidemiology report for H7N7 Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza outbreak in near Preston, Lancashire, July 2015.
- First published.