Promotional leaflet outlining the principles of open public services, with examples.
This leaflet outlines the principles of open public services:
- choice - wherever possible, we should increase choice by giving people direct control over the services they use
- local control - power should be decentralised to the lowest appropriate level, including parish and neighbourhood councils where possible
- diversity - public services should be open to a range of providers competing to offer a better service
- fair access - the state’s role is to ensure fair access
- accountability - public services should be accountable to users and to taxpayers
It gives examples for each of these principles.