This document explains the open spina bifida and the processes following a suspected or confirmed diagnosis of the condition.
This publication sets out information for health professionals on the neural tube defect open spina bifida, also known as spina bifida cystica.
The document includes:
- definition of the condition
- screening and diagnosis procedure
- prevalence of the condition
- treatment for the disease
- likely outcome for the baby
- prevention processes
- the referral pathway
The NHS fetal anomaly screening programme (FASP) tests for this condition.