Open general export licence (export of dual-use items to EU member states)

Licence for the export of of dual-use items to EU member states.



Stay up to date

The UK will leave the EU on 31 October. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit. It will be updated if anything changes, including if a deal is agreed.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.

This open general export licence (OGEL) allows the export of dual-use items (with both a civilian and military application) from the UK to EU member states and the Channel Islands.

You don’t need a licence to export dual-use items to EU member states or the Channel Islands before the UK leaves the EU.

This OGEL was published on 1 February 2019 to allow exporters time to:

  • understand the terms and conditions of the licence
  • register to use the licence before it comes into force

Before using this licence

You must register through SPIRE, the Export Control Joint Unit’s (ECJU’s) electronic licensing system, stating where you will keep records of the exports or transfers and where the ECJU may inspect them.

Published 1 February 2019