Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Number of secondary schools and their size in student numbers
Response to a number of secondary schools and their pupil headcount for a number of ranges.
- Date requested: 26 April 2013
- Date responded: 20 May 2013
- How many secondary schools are there in the UK in 2013?
- How many of these secondary schools have
- less than 500 students
- between 500 and 1000 students
- between 1000 and 1500 students
- more than 1500 students
The number of pupils and schools in England is published as part of the annual Statistical First Release ‘Schools, pupils and their characteristics’. The latest data available is for January 2012.
On January 2012 there were 3,268 state-funded mainstream secondary schools in England, of which:
- 317 had between 1 and 500 pupils
- 1,405 had between 501 and 1,000 pupils
- 1,226 had between 1,001 and 1,500 pupils
- 320 had 1,501 or more pupils
Education is a devolved matter in the United Kingdom.