Nuclear industrial strategy: the UK's nuclear future
- Department for Business, Innovation & Skills and Department of Energy & Climate Change
- Part of:
- Nuclear Industrial Strategy, Industrial strategy: government and industry in partnership, Industrial strategy, Low carbon technologies, UK energy security, Energy industry and infrastructure licensing and regulation, and Radioactive and nuclear substances and waste
- 26 March 2013
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Government and industry strategy for the future of the nuclear sector in the UK.
Ref: BIS/13/627 PDF, 1.63MB, 91 pages
PDF, 847KB, 1 page
The Nuclear Industrial Strategy identifies priorities that government and industry will work on together in a long-term partnership. It aims to provide more opportunities for economic growth and creating jobs through an increased share of all aspects of the nuclear market. It covers:
- opportunities in the nuclear new build programme
- waste management and decommissioning
- operations and maintenance
- associated professional services, both in the UK and in overseas markets
The Strategy includes:
- a new Nuclear Industry Council, that bring together all the key players across the nuclear supply chain
- better coordination of research and development (R&D) and innovation through new bodies: the Nuclear Innovation and Research Advisory Board and a Nuclear Innovation and Research Office
- a cost reduction initiative to investigate the scope for reducing costs across all aspects of the nuclear industry
- a long-term plan to ensure we will have the skills required for the future
See also the related nuclear strategy documents eg the Nuclear Industrial Vision Statement and the Long-Term Nuclear Energy Strategy, published with the Strategy.
The new Nuclear Industry Council will own this Strategy, driving forward the work programmes and keeping it current.
The Nuclear Industrial Strategy is part of the Government’s wider industrial strategy. It has been developed in consultation with industry, and draws on work undertaken over the past year to respond to the House of Lords report on the UK’s nuclear R&D capabilities.
The nuclear sector infographic is available in other formats from Flickr: Industrial sector infographics.
The government published the ‘Sustaining our nuclear skills’ report as an addendum to the Nuclear Industrial Strategy in March 2015.
Published: 26 March 2013
Part of: Nuclear Industrial Strategy Industrial strategy: government and industry in partnership Industrial strategy Low carbon technologies UK energy security Energy industry and infrastructure licensing and regulation Radioactive and nuclear substances and waste