Non-resident landlord: application by UK letting agents to register for the Non-resident Landlords Scheme (NRL4)

Use the online service or the postal form to register with HMRC as a member of the Non-resident Landlords Scheme.


Apply online (sign in using Government Gateway)

Apply by post


If you are a letting agent and want to register with HMRC as a member of the Non-resident Landlords (NRL) Scheme, you can use either the:

  • online service
  • postal form

To use the online service, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you apply.

If you need to authorise an agent to act on your behalf, fill in the 64-8 Agent Authorisation form and post it with your printed NRL4 form.

You must use the postal from if you:

  • are an agent
  • cannot use the online form

If you use the online form, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.

Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Before you start the postal form

If you’re using an older browser, for example Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You cannot save a partly completed form so you should gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

Published 30 April 2014