© Crown copyright 2019
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/newton-fund-building-science-and-innovation-capacity-in-developing-countries/newton-fund-building-science-and-innovation-capacity-in-developing-countries
The Newton Fund builds outstanding research and innovation partnerships with select countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. It supports economic development and social welfare, tackles global challenges and develops talent and careers.
The fund was launched in 2014 and has a total budget of £735 million. UK investment is matched by investment and resources from partner countries.
It forms part of the UK’s official development assistance, and is managed by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). It is delivered by UK and international partners.
The fund covers 3 broad categories of activity:
- people: improving science and innovation expertise (known as ‘capacity building’), student and researcher fellowships, mobility schemes and joint centres
- research: research collaborations on development topics
- translation: innovation partnerships and challenge funds to develop innovative solutions on development topics
3. Partner countries
The countries we work with under the fund are:
- China: Newton UK-China Research and Innovation Partnership Fund
- Colombia: Newton-Caldas Fund
- Egypt: Newton-Mosharafa Fund
- India: Newton-Bhabha Fund
- Kenya: Newton-Utafiti Fund
- Malaysia: Newton-Ungku Omar Fund
- Peru: Newton-Paulet Fund
- Philippines: Newton Agham Programme
- South Africa: UK-South Africa Newton Fund
- Thailand: Newton UK-Thailand Research and Innovation Partnership Fund
- Turkey: Newton - Katip Çelebi Fund
- Vietnam - Newton Fund Viet Nam
4. Bidding for research funding
5. Who administers the fund
In the UK there is a governance board chaired by the Minister for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation. The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) administers the fund.
6. Delivery partners
For further information on the Newton Fund please visit delivery partner websites:
- Academy of Medical Sciences
- British Academy
- British Council
- Met Office
- Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng)
- Royal Society
For more information, resources, case studies and transparency information visit the Newton Fund and Global Challenges Research Fund website](www.newton-gcrf.org).
8. Further information
- UK aid strategy
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Department for International Development
- UK Official Development Assistance
- OECD Official Development Assistance guidance
- International Climate Fund (ICF)
9. Evaluations of the Newton Fund
These reports are all available from the Newton Fund site