National Insurance: claim refund of UK contributions paid while working abroad (CA307)

Use the online form service or the print and post form CA307 to claim a refund of UK National Insurance contributions paid while working abroad.


Claim online (sign in using Government Gateway)

Claim using the print and post form


To claim a refund of UK National Insurance contributions paid while working abroad, you can either:

  • use the online form service
  • fill in the form on-screen, print and post to HM Revenue and Customs

To claim online, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you claim.

You’ll need:

  • your National Insurance number, this is 2 letters followed by 6 numbers and 1 letter, you’ll find this on your payslip, P60 or tax return
  • your international address
  • details of your UK employment status before you left the UK, including employer name and address
  • the date you last paid National Insurance contributions
  • details of your employment abroad, including when you left the UK, the country you were in, employer name and address, employment start and end dates, and who you had your contract with (read the section about ordinary residence on pages 6 and 7 of leaflet NI38 before you answer this question. We’ll ask you for more information if we need to check this

Before you start using the print and post form

If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the print and post form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

Published 12 August 2014
Last updated 16 May 2016 + show all updates
  1. An online form service is now available.
  2. New Welsh addition of the CA307 available
  3. Welsh translation added to the page.
  4. First published.