National Insurance: claim refund of UK contributions paid while working abroad (CA307)
Use the online form service or the print and post form CA307 to claim a refund of UK National Insurance contributions paid while working abroad.
Ref: CA307 https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/NICs_iForms/1.0/CA307&template=CA307.xdp
To claim a refund of UK National Insurance contributions paid while working abroad, you can either:
- use the online form service (sign in to, or set up a Government Gateway account)
- fill in the form on-screen, print and post to HM Revenue and Customs
- your National Insurance number, this is 2 letters followed by 6 numbers and 1 letter, you’ll find this on your payslip, P60 or tax return
- your international address
- details of your UK employment status before you left the UK, including employer name and address
- the date you last paid National Insurance contributions
- details of your employment abroad, including when you left the UK, the country you were in, employer name and address, employment start and end dates, and who you had your contract with (read the section about ordinary residence on pages 6 and 7 of leaflet NI38 before you answer this question. We’ll ask you for more information if we need to check this
Before you start using the print and post form
If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.
You’ll need to fill in the print and post form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.
Published: 12 August 2014
Updated: 16 May 2016
- An online form service is now available.
- New Welsh addition of the CA307 available
- Welsh translation added to the page.
- First published.