Guidance on naming human medicines, including Braille requirements for the name on the product label.
This Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) guidance for the pharmaceutical industry selecting or constructing a product name covers:
- the criteria used to assess the suitability of invented names
- additional criteria used to assess the suitability of invented names for non-prescription medicines
- criteria used in assessing the suitability of qualifiers/abbreviations
- criteria used in assessing the acceptability of umbrella segments of product names
- criteria for the generic naming of medicines, international non-proprietary names or common name