Missing persons abroad

Information from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office on what to do when a relative or friend goes missing abroad.


Missing persons abroad

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email . Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


When a relative or friend goes missing abroad it can be very distressing and you may feel at a loss as to what to do about it.

This leaflet explains what practical help our consular staff can offer you, what you may wish to do yourself, and where you can go for additional help. It is important to distinguish between people who have been travelling and keeping in regular contact with family and friends and who are now believed to be missing, and those with whom families have lost contact over a number of years.

If you wish to trace someone with whom you have long ago lost contact, you may need to employ the services of a solicitor or a tracing agency.

Published 31 March 2009