Recommends that restrictions on HIV-infected healthcare workers (HCWs) be relaxed if certain conditions are met.
The tripartite working group considered:
- evidence on the risk of HIV transmission from healthcare worker to patient
- data from retrospective patient notification exercises connected with HIV-infected HCWs in the UK from 1988 to 2008
- international policies on HIV-infected HCWs
In addition to the group’s conclusions and recommendations, the report contains a proposed implementation framework.
The tripartite working group, which was set up to review the current policy for HCWs infected with blood-borne viruses, consists of experts including the chairs and members of the:
- UK Advisory Panel for Healthcare Workers Infected with Blood-borne Viruses
- Advisory Group on Hepatitis
- Expert Advisory Group