Local land charges (PG79)

This guide gives advice about the Local Land Charges service provided by HM Land Registry.



This is the guidance for:

  • applications to register a local land charge or to vary or cancel the registration of a local land charge
  • applications for an official search or personal search of the local land charges register

This guide does not cover the registration of Land Charges with HM Land Registry. Information about Land Charges can be found in Land charges: registration, official search, office copy and cancellation (PG63).

This guide does not cover CON 29 enquiries, which will continue to be answered by local authorities. CON 29 enquiries include matters such as nearby road schemes or outstanding notices, which may affect a purchaser’s decision whether to proceed.

We only provide factual information and impartial advice about our procedures. Read more about the advice we give.

Published 18 June 2018
Last updated 18 September 2019 + show all updates
  1. Section 2.6.4 has been added and deals with a variation or cancellation of a light obstruction notice pursuant to an order of the court under section 3(5) of the Rights of Light Act 1959.

  2. Minor amendments have been made to the guide to remove an incorrect link and to clarify the evidence needed to vary a light obstruction notice.

  3. Contact details for Local Land Charges service added.

  4. First published.