Land charges: registration, official search, office copy and cancellation (PG63)

Information about HM Land Registry Land Charges Department: applications for registration, official search, office copy and cancellation (practice guide 63)

Applies to England and Wales



This guide gives advice about applications to HM Land Registry, Land Charges Department to register an interest in unregistered land, to search the index, to obtain an office copy and to cancel an entry.

It is aimed at conveyancers and other legal advisers and you should interpret references to ‘you’ accordingly.

We only provide factual information and impartial advice about our procedures. Read more about the advice we give.


You can join our free webinars for advice on a range of land registration topics and how to prepare quality applications.

Email alerts

Subscribe to email alerts to receive the latest changes to our practice guides.

Published 23 May 2005
Last updated 24 May 2021 + show all updates
  1. Section 12.1 has been updated to reflect the formation of North Northamptonshire and West Northamptonshire unitary authorities from 1 April 2021.

  2. Section 6.1.3 has been added following a change of practice to allow most Land Charges applications to be made by email attaching PDF copies of application forms and any supporting evidence.

  3. Sections 6.1.6. and 6.2.5 have been amended to clarify how you should request an appointment to attend a local office.

  4. Section 12.1 has been amended as a result of changes to unitary authority areas coming into effect on 1 April 2019.

  5. This guide has been amended as to take account of changes to the process by which a debtor can apply for bankruptcy, and to clarify the procedure for cancellation of bankruptcy entries both at the Land Charges Department (which is part of Land Registry) and at Land Registry.

  6. Sections 7.1 and 9.3 have been amended as a result of a change to our email addresses.

  7. Section 3.1.1 has been amended to clarify how to correctly enter names.

  8. Sections 2, 2.6 and 13.4 have been amended following the repeal of the Deeds of Arrangement Act 1914. As from 1 October 2015 it is no longer possible to register a new deed of arrangement.

  9. Link to the advice we offer added.

  10. Section 9 has been amended as a result of changes to contact details.

  11. First published.