Fees payable for local land charges services.
Local Land Charges fees
The information in this guide is a summary of the Local Land Charges Fees (England) Rules 2018 (‘the Fees Rules’). The guide also refers to the Local Land Charges Rules 2018 (‘the Rules’).
|Service||Apply using HM Land Registry portal or Business Gateway||Apply using GOV.UK||Apply by post||Apply by contact form*||How to pay fees|
|Official search of the register
(including issue of an official certificate of search)
under section 9(1) of the Local Land Charges Act 1975
|£15||£15||Not available||Not available||Direct debit where an agreement is in place between the applicant requesting the service and HM Land Registry.
Credit or debit card.
|Registration of a Light Obstruction Notice (LON)||Not available||Not available||£18||£18||Credit or debit card.
If application made by post: cheque or postal order crossed and made payable to HM Land Registry.
|Variation of the registration of a LON under rule 7(1) of the Rules||Not available||Not available||£18||£18||As for registration of a LON|
|Cancellation of the registration of a LON under rule 7(1) of the Rules||Not available||Not available||£18||£18||As for registration of a LON|
|Variation of the registration of a LON under rule 7(6) of the Rules (definitive certificate lodged)||Not available||Not available||£18||£18||As for registration of a LON|
No fee is payable for the following services in relation to the Local Land Charges Register kept by the Chief Land Registrar (‘the registrar’):
- an application to search in the register (a personal search)
- an application to register a local land charge (other than a LON)
- an application to vary or cancel a registration (other than the registration of a LON)
- an application for a copy of any document which is listed as being kept by the registrar in the particulars of registration for a LON or an application for a copy of any court order or item of correspondence kept by the registrar that relates to a registration, or to an application under the Local Land Charges Act 1975 or the Rules
How to pay fees
You can pay for services by:
- credit or debit card
- variable direct debit, if you have a Business e-services account
- cheque or postal order, only where post or applications are permitted (make payable to ‘HM Land Registry’)
The Fees Rules determine the fees payable to the registrar for services relating to local land charges affecting land in England, and they prescribe when the fees are payable and how they are to be paid.
The Fees Rules only come into effect in a local authority area once the amendments to the Local Land Charges Act 1975 made by the Infrastructure Act 2015, and the Rules have come into effect in that area.
In other words, the Fees Rules come into effect in a local authority area when the registrar becomes the registering authority for that area, in place of the local authority.
If you are still unsure of the fee, please use our contact form.